Re: Apple wireless BT keyboard: how to enable those special keys?

On Sunday 30 July 2006 19:56, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> The Apple bluetooth keyboard works just beautifully with Fedora and the
> hidd daemon. Most keys work but unfortunately some of the special keys
> don't even seem to emit a key code (tested with xev).

I don't know if xev tests the keyboard correctly, but my recommendation is
showkey. First, exit X (i guess you should do a 'telinit 3'...), login to a
terminal, and type 'showkey -s'.

Afer that, any key you press (or release) on the keyboard should be
identified, as seen by the kernel. If your keys do not work here, they are
not seen by the kernel, and there might be problems enabling them.
If they work, what you see are their scancodes.

The program ends itself automatically ten seconds after the last keyrelease,
and gives you back the control of the keyboard... :-)

Then start 'showkey', without any options. Test again. If the keys work, each
key is assigned the keycode, printed on the screen. If not, then the key is
not assigned the keycode, and you need to configure it.

> Any idea how can I enable those extra keys?

I recommend reading the docs, namely:

man showkey, man setkeycodes, man keymaps, man loadkeys, man dumpkeys,
etc. :-)

How to enable them in X is another story, and how to assign to them functions
such as "open xmms, start playing the song, turn off shuffle, and feed my pet
dog" is yet another story. ;-)

Best regards, :-)
Marko