RE: [OT] TOP-POSTING

>Any mailer that offers a threaded view of a conversation will
>supply more details than you want to know.  Unless you   are
>in the habit of feeding all old emails to squirrels.

I would prefer that, provided the thread did not require a point-by-point
interspersed response, or the whole email being quoted as a whole (for some
reason)
where a top-post is more appropriate.  Allowing the thread-aware mail reader
to handle the threading would be great!!!  everyone would have to have a
threaded mail reader, AND everyone would have to NOT QUOTE ANYTHING!!

I think the habit of top-posting comes from a long business use, where no
one trims quoted material, because more addresses get added as time goes on,
and the full contextual history is needed.  So top-posting definitely has
its proper use, and is not inherently "Wrong!"  Having to scroll through
pages and pages just to see the message changes your attitude very quickly.
If you have not experienced this, then your email is just a toy.

What I find interesting is going back to the USENET postings from 15-20
years ago, before many mailing lists were used, it was not top-posting that
brought out the net Nazi's, but CROSS-POSTING!!!  There are always going to
be those that absolutely insist that their limited horizon contains the
whole world that matters.  i.e. their way is the best, and there can't
possibly be a reason for doing it a different way.