Re: Cannot play mp3: error message with libmpg123.so (xmms,fc5)

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 13:03 -0700, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> >Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >This should fix it:
> ># chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/local/lib/xmms/libmpg123.so
> >
> >Paul.
>
> Thank you, it worked! But can you explain a bit more? I couldn't understand anything from chcon's manual!

The library is using memory in a way that is not allowed by SELinux. A
detailed technical explanation is available here:

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/selinux-mem.html

By marking the .so file as one that uses memory in this way (changing
its SELinux context type), the SELinux memory protection tests are
turned off for that particular object, whilst leaving the checks enabled
for everything else.

The approach that some other people suggest is to turn off this SELinux
memory protection altogether, using:

# setsebool -P allow_execmod 1

This is clearly a much less secure approach and IMHO overkill.

Paul.