Add/Remove Applications run amok in FC4

I ran Desktop --> System Settings --> Add/Remove Applications.  After a 5 or 10 minutes the disk went on and stayed on.  When I finally launched System Monitor I found that the python task under system-config-packages was over 580 MB and still growing.  My machine has G/2 memory so it was paging out like crazy.  I finally managed to kill the process by rebooting.  However everytime I start system-config-packages the task

python /usr/share/system-config-packages/MainWindow.py

just grows at the rate of 20MB-40MB/min and doesn't stop.  It seems like some sort of infinite loop condition.  Can anybody suggest how to reset the history of installed aps so that I can use system-config-packages.  Are there any work arounds?

/Bob Cahn
Gipsy Trail Club
Carmel, NY 10512