Re: lightscribe cd/dvd writers and linux

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 22 July 2006 17:27, Steven Pasternak wrote:
Hi! I was wondering how well lightscribe cd/dvd writers work under
linux? They are the ones that can also burn pictures and stuff on one
side of the media and data/music on the other. I don't want to bother
getting it if I can't use that feature (no, I won't use Windoze,
either!). If anyone has any experience with it, do please tell.
Thanks! -Steven

I have one built into the HP lappy I bought last spring, with a dual boot of xp and fc5. Under fc5, with the newest bios, it works perfectly, but even when empty it tends to be very verbose in the logs about some minor thing. So apparently fc5's bus scanner is alive and well, and it should learn to shut up if there's no disk in the drive. But, I haven't made a coaster with it yet either. OTOH, I'm not feeding it any lightscribe compatible disks until they're considerably more reasonably priced. $4/disk or more isn't in my budget. Me old fart, retired etc etc.

What program could I even use to write the label on the disc using the drive's function (not printable paper labels, though)?