Re: Amavisd does not start

Chris Jones schrieb:

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

... and here is the log fragment for that start:
Jul 20 18:27:41 bilbo amavis[7120]: starting. /usr/sbin/amavisd at bilbo.stow-jones.local amavisd-new-2.4.1 (20060508), Unicode aware, LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Jul 20 18:27:41 bilbo amavis[7120]: Perl version               5.008008

Nothing more appears at amavisd start time? Normally quite a few tests would run, about the Perl environment / helper modules, anti-virus scanners, spamassassin ...

No. That is all that occurs.

Ok. Not good. Then amavisd ends at a very early point.

Time to get a hand at /etc/amavisd.conf. It has an option to not use sylog for logging but an own file. Use that in combination with a higher debug level.

$DO_SYSLOG = 1;              # log via syslogd (preferred)

What level should I set to increase the logging?

The maximum debug level is "5". Be not shocked to see a lot of information, but that is its purpose.

Do you have SELinux being enforced?

Yes

Then for a quick test I would switch into permissive mode, to see if that is the culprit. You too could have a look at /var/log/messages or if auditd runs at /var/log/audit/audit.log to watch auth for amavisd related avc / audit messages.

Alexander