Playing MIDIs?

Here's a flurry of questions related to sound. Hopefully someone can help me figure it out. I have an FC5 machine with an SB Live! in it 'lspci' lists it as "Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)". So far so good. Sounds within KDE, I hear. I can also play MP3s with no problem. However, MIDI files produce no sound. I tried switching the MIDI setup within KMid to no avail. So now I'm trying to figure out KMix to see if it's a volume issue but there are so many different sliders on separate tabs within KMix that I don't even know which I need to be concerned about. Can anyone shed some light on this?