Re: atrpms kernel modules

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
	Ok...  I didn't want to post the "full" example because it's pretty
big.  So, I freshened things up a bit to make sure all packages are
correctly up to date and reran.  Forgive the length.

	First is a simple run with yum update

[root@mtking ~]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
livna                                                                [1/4]
updates                                                              [2/4]
core                                                                 [3/4]
extras                                                               [4/4]
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

	You will noticed that there are only 4 repos.  Livna, Updates, Core,
and Extras.

	Now...  I'll simply enable ATrpms and nothing else and rerun that same
update (all the packages from ATrpms I have installed on this system are
up to date, so this should, in theory, result in the same thing)...

[root@mtking ~]# yum --enablerepo=atrpms update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
atrpms                                                               [1/5]
livna                                                                [2/5]
updates                                                              [3/5]
core                                                                 [4/5]
extras                                                               [5/5]
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package lm_sensors.i386 0:2.10.0-43.rhfc5.at set to be updated
---> Package libsndfile.i386 0:1.0.16-8.fc5.at set to be updated

(lots of output snipped)

	Ok...  The only difference is that I enabled ATrpms.  I don't know what
it's trying to install, but the list at the very beginning is NOT very
encouraging.  It looks like it's trying to update a bunch of sound and
multimedia packages that I think originally came from Livna (hence my
earlier comment about Livna and ATrpms not cooperating)!  None of those
packages that are selected to be "updated" to a .at rpm came from ATrpms
originally.

	This is all I have installed from ATrpms:

[root@mtking ~]# rpm -qa | grep '\.at$'
spandsp-devel-0.0.2-3_pre26.rhfc5.at
zaptel-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
mythtv-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
libpri-devel-1.2.3-8.rhfc5.at
zaptel-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
libpri1-1.2.3-8.rhfc5.at
mythtv-backend-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
asterisk-1.2.10-26.fc5.at
mythtv-frontend-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
spandsp-0.0.2-3_pre26.rhfc5.at
libpri-1.2.3-8.rhfc5.at
asterisk-sounds-1.2.1-7.at
mythtv-themes-0.19-128.rhfc5.at
zaptel-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xen0-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
zaptel-devel-1.2.7-16.fc5.at
libmyth-0.19-128.rhfc5.at
mythtv-setup-0.19-129.rhfc5.at
asterisk-devel-1.2.10-26.fc5.at

	None of that shows up in the original "to be updated" pile before the
first transaction check.

Neither yum nor rpm know which packages you want to get from which repo unless you explictly tell them. The big list of packages you get are packages (or their dependencies) that you already have on your system (from some repo other than ATrpms) that have "later" versions in ATrpms. Since you told yum that you wanted to update all of the packages on your system to the latest versions, and to get packages from ATrpms, it tried to do what it was told and you got the big list.

If you don't want that to happen, you could use an "includepkgs" entry in your ATrpms repo file to list only those packages you want to pull from ATrpms.

Paul.