Re: Getting a lot of errors on FC4

On 7/17/06, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 17:00 -0600, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> Hi, I'm not sure my last email made it to the list since I'm not home and
> I'm using a webmail so I'll repost it.
>
> I have a machine with FC4 that's getting a lot of errors, segfaults and
> stuff like that.
>
> This machine had done this about 3-4 months ago when it was running FC3 and
> that's why it was upgraded to FC4. Could it be a hardware problem?

Uh, yeah.

> Anybody has an idea what could be causing the problem?

Several possibilities.  First, if you can, open the box and reseat
EVERYTHING (PCI cards, RAM, and if you want to risk it, the CPU(s) as
well).  Also boot off your rescue CD or CD1 and run memtest86 to see if
you have a flaky memory cell somewhere.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -

While you're at it, blow out and vacuum the accumulated dust,
especially around the power supply, heat sink(s) and fans.