Re: How to boot grub in /dev/sda2 from removeable disk?

Thanks for the replies! [I am the original poster but now using my home
email address].  I am up & running.

To recap: I want to install FC5 on a laptop with XP already installed,
want a grub menu, but don't want to update the MBR or the XP partition.
The machine doesn't have a floppy drive.

Steps:

1. boot knoppix and run qtparted to resize the ntfs partition.

2. install fc5 using custom disk layout:
   sda1 -> XP
   sda2 -> FC5 /
   sda3 -> FC5 swap

3. configure grub (using advanced option) to write to /dev/sda2 and run
thru the install until it is time to reboot.

4. on another system (I suppose I could do this on the same system in
linux rescue mode but I didn't bother to look up how to specify the
cdrecord command) I built a CD:

$ mkdir -p iso/boot/grub
$ cp /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat/stage2_eltorito iso/boot/grub
$ cd iso/boot/grub
$ vi grub.conf
$ cat grub.conf
default=1
timeout=5
hiddenmenu
title /dev/sda1
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
title /dev/sda2
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1
$ ln -s grub.conf menu.lst
$ mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso

and burned it.  Then booted with this CD and completed the install.

So we have grub on CD booting grub on /dev/sda2.  Very cool.

Greg Smith