Re: can't cleanly exit shell from FC5 rescue CD

Adam Monsen wrote:
> I'm having a problem with the Fedora Core 5 rescue CD: I can't cleanly
> exit the shell. When I type in 'exit' and hit enter, I see the following:
>
> sh-3.1# exit
> logout
>
> ...and nothing happens. Anyone seen this? Any ideas?
>
> Here are the exact repro steps for people who like that kind of thing:
>
> REPRO STEPS:
> * boot to Fedora Core 5 rescue CD
> * type 'linux rescue' at the prompt and hit ENTER
> * choose language = English
> * choose keyboard = us
> * don't start up network interfaces
> * don't try to find existing installations
> * at the shell prompt, type 'exit' and hit ENTER
>
> EXPECTED RESULT:
> * system reboots
>
> ACTUAL RESULT:
> * system hangs after 'logout' is printed to the console

I normally run "shutdown -r now" or "shutdown -h now" to get out of
the rescue mode. I would not expect a clean shutdown just by exiting
the shell. When in the single user mode without using the rescue
mode of the CD, you also have the option of using telinit to change
to run level 3 or 5, instead of doing a shutdown or reboot.

Mikkel