Re: tg3 networking issue

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 21:16 +0200, Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 11:43 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > > Yikes that does not sound very encouraging. Are you aware of an FC5
> > > kernel where this problem does not happen (assuming it's related to the
> > > tg3 module)?
> >
> > I've never liked the tg3 module...it's always had issues with speed
> > negotiation and the like.  One way around is to turn off negotiation on
> > the switch/router and set it to fixed (along with the other appropriate
> > parameters) and do the same for the machine itself.
> >
> > If you're using the tg3 driver for a Broadcom chipset, try to use the
> > actual Broadcom driver (from their website).  It doesn't have these
> > issues.
>
> Thanks for the info Rick. I downloaded the latest Broadcom tg3 driver
> (version 3.58b) and README.TXT says that this driver is already part of
> the recent 2.6 kernels:
>
> "The latest driver is in the latest 2.6 Linux kernel. It can also be
> downloaded from http://www.broadcom.com as a source package, but is
> generally not necessary to do so if you are using the latest 2.6
> upstream kernel from http://www.kernel.org or one of the latest
> vendor kernels from Red Hat, SuSE, or others."
>
> The info from # modinfo tg3 seems to agree as it says that the version
> of the tg3 module in 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 is 3.59.
>
> Is there perhaps a more recent beta driver you are referring to or are
> you still saying it is a good idea to try this driver?

I wasn't aware that Broadcom had drunk the Kool Aid and joined the tg3
fracas.  I was referring to the "bcm53xx" drivers of old, so I guess
I was stuck in the past.

Ok, so tg3 is now the official Broadcom driver (grumble!).  Still, try
turning off the autonegotiation bit and see if it helps.  Using ethtool:

    # ethtool -s ethX autoneg off speed 100 duplex full

Obviously, use your ethernet port for "ethX" and set the "speed"
parameter to whatever you need (10, 100, or 1000).

One of the complaints I have with the tg3 driver is that you have to use
ethtool to do this rather than stuffing parms into the modprobe.conf
file.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -