Re: Mobile Service From Fedora Possible?

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 23:03 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:

> For example, if I have to login to my yahoo through my very simple
> mobile phone, I have to compose my message with my ID & password and
> send it to certain number, then I can read my yahoo mails..etc. etc.
>
> What I wanted to know is:
>
> 1) What are the technologies behind these?
> 2) Are Mobile Companies, Yahoo  etc. are using *nix platform to
> implement this? or there are specialized hardwares?
> 3) Are there packages for linux for implementing this (I don't know
> what to call this..."set of technologies"?)
>
> Seems ambitious but I really want to know first in nut shell. Can some
> body guide me on where to find information and guide me to correct
> path?

Hi Deepak,

Your questions are indeed ambitious, but you may be barking up the wrong
tree. First a few clarifications:

1. SMS is different from mobile web browsing. The way your phone sends
SMSes uses a different path at the telco and different technologies from
the way mobile web content reaches your phone

2. If you are interested in viewing or serving web content to mobile
phones, you need to understand that for most Asian telcos, this is
already accomplished with their rollouts of 2.5G networks. A 2.5G
network normally contains servers and equipment that will allow web
content to be re-formatted for different mobile screen sizes and
displayed (not always correctly) on the mobile phone. The subject of how
this is implemented is waaaay too broad to explain in one email.

3. For mobile web content, you will need a wireless gateway. There are
several in the market. I have deployed Openwave's MAG (Mobile Access
Gateway) product, which runs on UNIX systems. For an Open Source
alternative, you may want to look at Kannel (http://www.kannel.org/). Be
aware however that if you are going into GPRS and other wireless
technologies for the first time, there is a rather steep learning curve
ahead because of the alphabet soup of protocols to learn and understand
and the infrastructure of telcos is not simple.

If you are planning on implementing an entire 2.5G network for a telco,
be aware that the job requires much more than just one person. There are
many things to consider, such as data storage, billing, provisioning,
maintenance, etc. Also, no telco I know of would give you the project if
you are a small systems integration shop.

If you are approaching this subject because you need to prepare for an
interview, it may be best that you understand what your specific
function in the organization is (application? database? network?
systems?).

If you need to write a web application that can be displayed on mobile
phones, however, it is much simpler. Just use XHTML -- learn the syntax
if you do not already know. Or display your application's output in
XHTML. Most 2.5G networks will display that content without any trouble.
(oh yes, avoid Javascript and test your pages using simulation browsers
-- Openwave provides an SDK free with registration, if I recall
correctly)

Hope this helps.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur