Re: Mobile Service From Fedora Possible?

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Few years ago somebody mentioned me about the "mobile tools" or "SMS
> server" or something like that can be implemented in linux, which can
> be used as "call forwarding" services or something similar ..... Now I
> wanted to know more about this. So googling gave me some result like
> "gnokii" which is more on a personal mobile phone tool. This is not
> what I was looking for exactly. I am looking for information on how to
> implement the automated Services.
> For example, if I have to login to my yahoo through my very simple
> mobile phone, I have to compose my message with my ID & password and
> send it to certain number, then I can read my yahoo mails..etc. etc.
>
> What I wanted to know is:
>
> 1) What are the technologies behind these?
> 2) Are Mobile Companies, Yahoo  etc. are using *nix platform to
> implement this? or there are specialized hardwares?
> 3) Are there packages for linux for implementing this (I don't know
> what to call this..."set of technologies"?)
>
> Seems ambitious but I really want to know first in nut shell. Can some
> body guide me on where to find information and guide me to correct
> path?
>
> Sorry for posting this question here. I know its not related to fedora
> release itself but Linux as a whole, but this is the best place I
> found to post this question since I am using FC5. I hope somebody
> knows about this in fedora community or may be somebody already has
> implemented this in some company.
>

> Thanks

You may want to look at SMS server tools:

http://www.meinemullemaus.de

To you them, you need ether a GSM modem, or a cell phone that will
act as one. There is also a Perl module that will work with SMS
messages. Check out:

http://search.cpan.org/~johanvdb/GSM-SMS-0.162/docs/README.pod

There are also a bunch of web-based SMS gateways, but I have not
looked into them much. The only reason I know much about it is that
I helped set up an incoming SMS message to SQL gateway. It looks
like I didn't save the URL for the site that explained SMS messaging
in detail, but you can find a lot of information by doing a Google
search for "SMS message format".

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SMS+message+format&btnG=Google+Search

Mikkel