Re: Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 01:41 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>  >
>  > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 09:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>  > > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 10:17 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>  > > > I am looking for an issue tracking tool running on Fedora, preferably
>  > > > open source, that will accept incoming email replies to a comment on a
>  > > > particular issue as a new comment for that issue.  I think Bugzilla
>  > > > can do it but I haven't figured out yet how to make it work.  Does
>  > > > anyone with experience using rt3 or trac know if either of these tools
>  > > > supports such strong email integration?
>  > >
>  > > RT3 interacts very well with email and it is now packaged in fedora
>  > > extras so it shouldn't be difficult to install.
>  > It's in FE for > 1/2 year, and haven't receive _any_ PRs on it since
>  > then nor complaints about configuring it since then.
>
> Get ready.  I'll have some for you real soon now.  Here's a start:
>
> I found no simple, clear instructions along the lines of "Got Fedora
> 5?  A Web server already installed?  Sendmail already set up?  Well
> then, here's what you do: ..."
Do you expect me to explain how to set up a webserver and the MTA they
are using? This is beyond the scope of rt3.

>   Instead, I found a README.fedora that
> was inadequate at best,

What did you find to be inadequate?

>  > >   I haven't used that
>  > > version myself so I'm not sure what you have to do to set up the
>  > > web service and email aliases.
>  > You'll normally have to set up a database (default: mysql), a web-server
>  > and an email alias. This all is straight forward and shouldn't be much
>  > effort.
>
> I found the web setup to be very much a pain in the ass.
What do you propose?

>   Why on earth
> does the Fedora RPM put the rt web pages in the web server root
> instead of the document root?  This is just plain insane.
What do you find insane about this?
There are plenty of ways to set up a webserver, there are plenty of ways
to set up rt3. The configuration being chosen is simple and works.

I can't find anything insane about this.

>   And I also
> think the Fedora RPM should take care of post download setup to the
> largest degree possible.  If you are the maintainer, I hereby
> volunteer to help.
Feel free to provide patches.

Ralf