Re: DVD does not recognized disks anymore

On 7/15/06, Michael P. Brininstool <mikepb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Charles Curley wrote:

>>I have the same drive and it works perfectly, unless I try to BOOT off
>>of it to install FC5 instead of FC1.  Can one not boot off the Plextor
>>716A?  It is on second chain, but alone as master on that chain.
>

> Have you been able to boot to it in the past? Does your BIOS permit
> booting to it? Can you boot other CDs &/| DVDs?

Don't know.  I installed this system with a CD-ROM drive on an old
motherboard.  Then I got the DVD Writer and added it.  Then I swapped
motherboards.  Then I removed the CD-ROM.  All this happened over a 3
year period and each change was 6-12 moths after the previous.  I was
just wondering if the Plextor PX-716A was SUPPOSED to be bootable, or
can FC5 boot off it, or do I need to go buy a CDROM just to boot off CD?

It depends on your BIOS and the jumpering of the DVD drive. Newer
BIOSs allow booting from slave drives. Safest bet is to configure the
DVD drive as the master device on the secondary IDE channel.