Re: [DejaVu-fonts] DejaVu fonts - Not 108% - Feedback.

Le vendredi 14 juillet 2006 à 19:41 +0100, Albert Graham a écrit :
> The bottom line for me is I cannot use this font, because it lets subtle
> differences slip by me, I sit about 1 arms length from my 21in CRT
> monitor (as I have done for the last 25 years) and I just never had a
> problem before now.
>
> I understand that technically you  have to do things "technically
> correct" but, I'm a human, not a text scanner and that should be taken
> into consideration.

A compiler or a spreadsheet gets mighty unhappy if humans typed Ohs
instead of zeros, so making Oh different from zero in fonts is an
absolute necessity.

In the particular case of monospace fonts, since you can't play with the
glyph width, that means adding something to zero to make it different
from Oh.

The current convention is to put a point in the middle of the ellipse,
and it's by no way a dejavu/vera particularism. If you don't like it you
can always use the non-monospace variant which uses the glyph width to
distinguish 0 and O.

If you take the time to accustom yourself to DejaVu Sans Mono and train
your eyes I'm sure you'll realise 0 and 8 are actually different with
this font. Methinks you only confuse them because you don't expect
anything in the middle of zeros.

Regard,

--
Nicolas Mailhot