Re: OT: USB turntable and Audacity

At 02:18 PM 7/14/2006 , Anne wrote:
Has anyone done any speed-adjustment work in audacity?  Is it possible?

You can do this with any editing software that will allow you to re-sample and equalize the recording.

Run the output of the turntable into your Mic input. Dont use an amplifier or equalizer because the equalization curves will be wrong. You then record your 78 (I typically use 45rpm) to a an uncompressed file. Then resample the file (by a ratio of 78/45) to speed up the playback.

After the file is re-sampled, you must then use the software to equalize and filter the file. If you are going to convert it to an ogg or mp3, only do so after doing all of the above.

There are lots of equalization curves that where used on 78's so you can look up the curves or just do it by ear. Also, not all 78's are actually recorded at 78. The speed ranged pretty widely. As high as 80 and as low as 75. So if it sounds a bit off key, you can play with the speed ratio in order to correct the speed.

Keep in mind that the stylus used on 78's is much larger than the one typically used on 33's and 45's. Depending on the turntable it takes a little hunting to find the correct stylus for your cartridge. Last time I checked, they where still avalable for the Sure cartridge. It is best to use the correct stylus, using the smaller stylus can damage the record or the stylus and usually results in a rather distorted recording.

You can find more info here:

http://www.rfwilmut.clara.net/repro78/repro.html

It is a good idea to archive the uncompressed file (or use FLAC to save it using loss-less compression). Archive.Org is a repository for the digitization of these old recordings. I am sure they would love to have a copy of whatever you digitize. You can upload the files to their website. You may even be able to find digitized copies of your recordings are already there.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have questions.

Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

Endangered electronic species: http://www.eff.org/endangered/list.php
"The 'Analog Holes' they want to stop up are our eyes, ears and mouths."