Re: Looking for a laptop

Todd Zullinger wrote:

The issue with suspend is often related to proprietary video drivers. Newer Nvidia cards seem to work better than newer ATI cards currenttly, but in my experience with both on several DELL laptops, FC5 has functional suspend.

The first thing to try is to set your video driver to the open source one and then test. The second thing to do is to update your system (especially if there is a new kernel) and try again.

If you get it perfect, don't update for a while. There is no great harm in waiting 6 months to update your FC5 setup if you get it 'just right'

Some of my users laptops have not been updated for a year! Why bother when its just what they need? We are already way ahead on kernel security, so unless there is a major CERT warning for FC5, leave that perfect laptop alone! :)

The Lattitude D6NN for the past couple years all seem to work ok.
I have done a couple Inspirons with success, and will be testing a new one in the next week or so. If there is still interest I will happily report my findings.

The point is this: Every kernel update could be the one that fixes or breaks your particular setup. Keep trying! FC moves very fast. Don't depend on a post/blog from a month ago because its probably already out of date. And by all means, air it out when there is trouble. Details are always welcome and enlightening, if not actually helpful sometimes :)

In terms of overall laptop driver support, the dialup 'WINmodem' is the only 'broken by design' hardware in most laptops. The WIN in WINmodem is a Microsoft specification that made modems cheaper ($10.00 vs $60.00-$100.00) by putting all port I/O processing on the CPU and not at the serial port on the modem. This was doen intentionally to 'break' all modems unless they are run under Windows. Remember that the Internet was all dialup in those days and MS wanted a toll booth onto the internet highyway. This is one of those toll boothes that they designed. The specifications for the OS part of a WINmodem was never released by Microsoft.

Having said all that to say this: If you are dependent upon modem communication from your laptop, you are looking at buying a $100.00 PCMCIA card (which almost always will work) or paying nearly the equivalent for some commercial software that MIGHT make your WINmodem work under Linux.