Re: Audigy 2 has no playback sound

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 23:33, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 22:15, nigel henry wrote:
> > Hi. Which FC version are you using? From FC2 using the 2.6
> > kernel /etc/modules.conf has changed to /etc/modprobe.conf.
> >
> > Will you post the output of:
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > cat /proc/asound/version
> > /sbin/lsmod
> >
> > The fact that you can access Alsamixer sounds good. I dont know what
> > controls you have on your Alsamixer, but on mine for the Audigy2
> > sounblaster there is a switch named "Audigy A" which needs to be unmuted.
> > "M" toggles the switches. The sliders I need up to get sounds, are,
> > Master, PCM, Front, and you may wish to try the first 2 Emu10k1 sliders
> > just along from the Audigy A switch. This is for stereo output, which I
> > am using, not 5/1.
> >
> > Which desktop are you using, and which app are you trying to play sounds
> > with?
> >
> > The card is supported according to the Alsa's soundcard matrix, but
> > doesn't do 96k 24bit.
>
> Also, if you use KDE, make sure that aRts is not hanging on to the sound
> system.
>
> Anne

Hi Anne. That shouldn't be a problem with the Audigy ZS, at least it isn't
with my Audigy2 soundblaster which is able to handle multiple audio streams.
I have aRts running, and there's no problem listening to a live audio stream
at the same time. This can't be said for the other machine that uses an
Ensoniq card (ens1371 driver). this is not capable of multiple audio streams.
It's a case here of one or the other. One hilarious side affect of this is
listening to a live audio stream from Internet radio, then opening Gaim. 2
hrs later you shut down the Internet radio, and then receive all the sounds
that Gaim has tried to send while you were IM'ing.

Nigel.