RE: Wireless PCMCIA

bruce wrote:

> that's the customer expectation.. if you just want linux to pretty much
> remain a good system for those who are able to figure out
> drivers/rpms/config files... then it's cool as it's going.. but ifit's
> ever going to really 'compete' with the desktop, then these are the kinds
> of issues that are going to hae to be addressed/resolved..

I don't think this particular issue - installing a random PCMCIA card -
will ever be "resolved" under Linux.
By the time most 11g cards are supported they will have moved on to 11z .
Actually, I think the documentation explaining
which cards will work under Linux
is reasonably good.
(Perhaps the documentation could be better organized,
so it is easier to find.)

Incidentally, I don't think Windows is that great in this area.
I have an Athlon-64 machine which is supposed to have an 11g card in it.
According to the Windows (XP) troubleshooter
this device is working perfectly.
But it never sees any networks,
and I have never managed to connect it to anything with WiFi.
(I don't actually use this machine -
it is reserved for Sims-2 by my grand-daughter and friends.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366