Re: python-base rpm

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 09:56 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I am sorry I was being obscure. My point is that the installation of
> > python involves the installation of several rpms. So to say python
> > is installed does not mean all of python is installed.
>
> But python-base would surely appear to be the base install of python,
> wouldn't it?  I don't know what distro that package was coming from,
> but I would guess that it's what corresponds to the python package on
> Fedora, which is installed by default AFAIK.
>
> > That is what happened on one of my FC4 machines. All of my yum
> > upgrading did not install python-tools to add to the other 10 or so
> > python related rpms I had installed. I had to specifically yum
> > install python-tools and some other rpms that came along with it.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Did you have idle installed
> via rpm and an upgrade removed it?  If it wasn't installed previously,
> there's no reason to expect an upgrade to install it.  I would
> consider it a bug if it did (unless somehow idle became required to
> run one of the other python packages that was being upgraded).
>
> - --
Let's drop this since what I ma saying is not understood and it is a
trivial point. I expected that if python is installed when the OS is
installed python-tools would be included. I was surprised that it was
not.

Obviously, I could and did install it when I saw it was missing.
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts
to bite people themselves. -- August Strindberg