Re: Console stops scrolling

Gordon Hay wrote:
> Booting FC5, messages populate screen, scrolling normally until the
> following error occurs:
>         PCI: Probing PCI hardware
>         PCI: failed to allocate mem resource #6 at 1000000@42000000 for
>         0000:01:06.0
>         PCI: Bridge for 0000:00:0d.0
>
> At this point the cursor is stuck at bottom left and as far as I can
> tell is unmovable.  The screen no longer scrolls, and the console is
> unusable.
>
> The system appears to boot OK, however: it's accessible via SSH and
> seems fine.
>
> Is there a way to "unlock" this frozen console?

Sounds like a kernel problem, or possibly a hardware problem.

> Also, if anyone knows what the PCI messages are actually trying to tell
> me, I'd be grateful....

Well, you could try running lspci and looking for what corresponds to
01:06.0 and 00:0d.0. Depending on what they are, you might be able to
tell the kernel not to use those features.

Are you using proprietary kernel modules (Nvidia, ATi, VMware, etc)?
Have you tried without them?

What sort of system is this, anyway?

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | [Training spam filters] is somewhat like house-training
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | a puppy: it's a painful process, involving contact with