Re: Where can I find this firmware file?

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 22:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 11:11 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Am I upset?, yes.  Apparently support for ndiswrapper has been removed,
> >
> > Removed from what? I have ndiswrapper running fine on my FC5 laptop with
> > that crappy Broadcom radio. Came straight from the rpm.livna.org
> > with "yum install ndiswrapper". If it is not available for
> > FC4 I guess you could download the latest SRPM from that site and
> > rebuild it yourself.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Patrick
>
> In FC5, they've a new version of the driver in the latest kernels now,
> and we are supposed to be able to make it work with the help of this
> bcm43xx-fwcutter utility, so there are apparently no new
> kmod-ndiswrapper modules for the newer kernels being made.  Hasn't been
> one since 2133 TBE.

I'm aware of the new bcm43xx module/driver and I have tried to make it
work. The problem I'm having is more with wpa_supplicant and
NetworkManager than the kernel module although the kernel module could
use some improvements. Afaik the folks working on it are making great
progress so I guess a little patience is the name of the game.

On my FC5 box I have the following ndiswrapper parts intalled:

[patrick@werkstation ~]$ rpm -qa | grep ndis
kmod-ndiswrapper-1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2139_FC5
ndiswrapper-1.18-1.lvn5
kmod-ndiswrapper-1.18-2.2.6.17_1.2145_FC5

The latest version of the ndiswrapper module and app and ntfs module for
FC4 on rpm.livna.org are:

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4-1.18-1.lvn4.i686.rpm
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/ndiswrapper-1.18-1.lvn4.i386.rpm
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.17-1.2141_FC4-2.1.27-1.lvn4.i686.rpm

> I followed the procedure thats supposed to make it work, but all I got
> for my trouble was a lockup, complete and total, and it cost me several
> hours and a boot to the ubuntu live cd to effect a transfer back to an
> external radio via an ethernet cable.   I keep waiting, and running
> yumex 2-3x a day, hoping we'll get a new kmod-ntfs for the last 2
> kernels, but as of this morning, zip, nada, nothing.

Have a look on the rpm.livna.org site and the links I gave. If for some
odd reason your yum/yumex doesn't work properly, try installing them
manually (but don't install FC4 rpms on your FC5 box and don't install
FC5 rpms on your FC4 box).

Regards,
Patrick