Re: VMWare

On 07/07/06, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, they are OT...but what the heck.

Heh, thanks!

Shall I assume you are running VMWare Workstation 5.5.1 or what?  VMWare
is the name of the company.  Probably a good idea if you name the product.

Er, sorry for not being specific. I'm running the Player only.

Windows is your guest OS, right?

Yes. XP Home Edition.

> 1) How do I connect the Windows installation in VMWare to the internet?

Depends on your network situation.  Probably you will find defining your
ethernet connection as being type "NAT" is best and use the default
setting under Windows.

Thanks. I'm not sure what I did, exactly, but it's now funcitoning.

> 2) How do I connect USB devices to Windows?

That becomes a bit tricky at times.  I don't do it that much.  The issue
is that the host OS tends to grab the USB device and then you have to
rmmod to release it.  That doesn't always work.

Er, ok, thanks. I'll google rmmod and see where that takes me.

> 3) How do I read from CD in Windows?

Disable automounting of CD's on the host and you will simply be able to
connect your CD drive to the guest OS.

Changed "cdrom-image" to "cdrom-raw" in the config file and the CD
drive now works.

I've no idea of what you've found about python scripts.  Been  using
VMWare workstation for 4 years and never saw anything of the sort.

But, the VMWare forums are the best place to talk about VMWware specific
stuff.

Will post there. I've been reading the forums a bit. Now that I've
only the USB to fix, I just may be able to squeeze by.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://simplesniff.com