Re: Segmentation fault during upgrade

Scott R. Godin wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 09:05 -0700, Paul Erickson wrote:
While doing a yum upgrade I received the following error message:

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.63971: line 6: 13175 Segmentation fault
/usr/sbin/module_upgrade 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5
How serious is this, and what can I do to fix it?

fairly so.. rpm shouldn't segfault.

it may be that the rpm database has become corrupted.
before doing anything about that, you may want to run a manual fsck
(booting from the install cd in rescue mode) of the drive and look for
deeper problems before proceeding with an rpm database repair on an
already corrupted filesystem.
If you decide not to do that, I'd strongly recommend talking with the
folks in the #rpm channel on irc.freenode.net via xchat or the chatzilla
plugin in Firefox, before doing anything with the rpm database. There's
several steps to take aside from the former 'conventional wisdom', as I
found out the hard way. They are most helpful there. (can you tell I
went through some rpm database corruption recently, myself? :)

tell me something, just out of personal curiosity. Are you running
ati/nvidia/ntfs/wireless drivers, or ANY other similar nonstandard
kernel modules? (strange question, I know, but one that *I* myself was
asked by another tech when I reported problems that eerily resemble
yours)
Thanks for the reply. I am not running any of the drivers you mention. It appears that the problem occurred while installing kernel-2.6.17-1.2145_FC5. Having not rebooted, I am still using
kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt@xxxxxxxxx

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia