Re: Environmental monoitoring

David Fletcher wrote:
> My employer wants to do environmental monitoring and logging of
> temperature and humidity in an instrument calibration room.
>
> I'm looking at an environmental monitor called the Sensatronics EM1 made
> by a company called Open Extra. It plugs into a network outlet and
> operates with SNMP.
>
> What I'm thinking might be possible is to have a script running on one
> of the Linux boxes as a cron job, to periodically interrogate the
> environmental monitor and add date, time, temperature and humidity to a
> log file each time.
>
> Has anybody had experience of doing this, please?

You can do simple queries with snmpget like I do to
get page counts from printers:

echo `snmpget -v 1 -c public kem5100 -Oqv
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.43.10.2.1.4.1.1` `date` >>kem5100.log

(It's on one line).

Do you have a MIB file for the device? Else you would
have to use snmpwalk and a bit of guessing to get the
OID correct.

You can also use MRTG to collect the data and have them
displayed graphically.

Mogens
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@xxxxxx Homepage: http://www.crc.dk