Re: Plan for OpenOffice 2.0.3

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 23:02 +0200, Ambrogio wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 03/07/2006 alle 07.09 -0500, Don Maxwell ha scritto:
> > > I don't understand.
> > > I'm already using OpenOffice from openoffice.org (2.0.1 adn 2.0.2), but
> > > everytime yum tell me that openoffice should be upgraded.
> > >

> > You could add this line to /etc/yum.conf:
> > exclude=openoffice*
> Yes I know,
> but this is a workaround, it isn't a reason to make OOO 2.0.3 not
> available from fedora core.

Of course it does not prevent making the newest version available, but
that is not your issue.

You have a newer version than is in the Fedora updates and yet yum tells
you that you should upgrade. Your problem is that you are not using a
site that has packages named equivalently and compatible with the Fedora
packages.  This leads to problems with yum not actually being able to
tell what is newer and what actually needs updated.

Similar problems occur when using incompatible repos, and I have dubbed
that condition "repo hell" because of the problems it creates.

> I think that repos, and software like yum are usefull to stay updated,
> pointing to a single repos.

The single repo you refer to is actually known as "core,  updates, and
extras" for FC5. Three different repos that are designed to be
compatible and complimentary.

Other repos can be used but may lead to the 'repo hell' I mentioned
above.

Getting packages that are not in a compatible repo (you got them
directly from OOo) often leads to similar problems.

> I forget everytime to check all my installed software with rpm from
> other sites, and it isn't so good.

You really have two choices here.

1.  Continue as you are, using the upstream version of OOo, and live
with the discrepancies between the upstream version you are using and
the version in FC that you see and are having to work around.

2.  Remove the upstream version and install the version from FC. Then
yum will keep it updated and the complaints about needing updated that
you currently see will disappear.

It is your choice, and whichever you choose will determine what you see
when you do a yum update.

Repos are very useful and when used as designed they help to keep your
system current with minimal difficulties.  Not understanding the way yum
and it's repos work can lead to frustration.