Re: Need workaround for yum update problem

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:

I hope everyone is doing well. I have a problem. I am using the
"updates-testing" repo. A number of packages in there are ones I find
useful. But, over the last few weeks, when I do a yum -y update, it fails
with:

Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package nfs-utils-lib.i386 0:1.0.8-4.FC5 set to be updated
---> Package libgssapi.i386 0:0.9-1.FC5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: librpcsecgss.so.1 for package: nfs-utils
--> Processing Dependency: libgssapi.so.1 for package: nfs-utils
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: librpcsecgss.so.1 is needed by package
nfs-utils
Error: Missing Dependency: libgssapi.so.1 is needed by package nfs-utils

I tried to do a "yum install libgssapi", but that doesn't work (already
installed). If I try to exclude packages, I believe yum will only let me
do one. So, if I tell it to ignore nfs-utils lib, then it still fails
because it couldn't find libgssapi. If I try to exclude libgssapi,
nfs-utils croaks, of course. So...what to do?

Exclude them both:

# yum --enablerepo=updates-testing --exclude=libgssapi
--exclude=nfs-utils-lib update

The nfs-utils-lib and libgssapi updates should be accompanied by an
nfs-utils package built against them. It's the absence of that that's
the problem - your already-installed nfs-utils is linked against
versions of nfs-utils-lib and libgssapi that would be removed by the
updates to those packages.

Yep, and this has been that way for a few weeks. I should file a bugzillalalalla entry for it. In any case, it worked. Thank you for your help! --exclude did the trick for the individual ones. I didn't know the syntax allowed that; I thought it only let you exclude one set of packages.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***