Re: kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:24:42PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 02:33:51PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

First, are you sure the radeonfb module is being loaded?  During the text
part of the boot, the active VC should change to small font/full screen.
If you have a vga= kernel parameter on your kernel line in grub.conf,
remove it.  Also, dmesg should report radeonfb statuses, including

   radeonfb: forcefully enabling sleep mode

Matthew Saltzman:  Are you psychic, or what?

No, just out of options. "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --Sherlock Holmes.

Despite your crystal-clear instructions, I managed to screw them up.
I put the essential line    MODULES="radeonfb"  in
/etc/sysconfig/mkinitfb instead of /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd.
This inanity caused the radeonfb module not to be loaded.

With this error corrected, all is well.  lsmod shows the radeonfb module
is loaded and dmesg shows a host of initialization messages.
The screen backlight is off while sleeping and the battery drain is
miniscule.  I'm measuring the drain as I write this, but it'll take
quite a while.  Thank you for your patience and perseverance.

Glad you got it working.

Otherwise, I just suspend/resume using the pm-utils as installed by
default in FC5.  I can close the lid or press Fn-F4 to suspend to RAM and
open the lid or press Fn alone (maybe other keys also) to resume.  I
haven't used acpitool to suspend.  My old FC4 scripts suspended by writing
"mem" into /sys/power/state.

I can suspend to RAM and have it last for a couple of days without
problem.

I have not found the pm-utils programs to be installed or used in any
way - by default.  The only effect that I can see of either Fn-F4 or
lid closure is that the acpi daemon notices these events.
I don't know of any other mechanism besides acpi to respond to
these events.  However, my fresh install of FC5 provides no rules
whatever to deal with these events in /etc/acpi/events - only
sample.conf and video.conf.  To create any response to these events
I had to create the rules files - lid.conf and sleep.conf - which now
state action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend.   Without these rules files, the acpi
events are merely recorded in /var/log/acpid, but cause no action.

There are evidently two commands to induce suspend-to-memory -
  /usr/bin/acpitool -s
  /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
With kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 the first one, which uses the S3 mode,
is broken.  This has provoked considerable discussion elsewhere on
this list.  Fortunately, the second method still works.

I haven't had a chance to investigate the new pm system much at all. Am traveling, but when I get back, maybe I'll have a chance to take a closer look.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu