Re: kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

With kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 my IBM T30 laptop will no longer enter sleep
mode.  More accurately, it won't wake up.  When I close the lid and later
reopen it, the old XFCE4 display lights up, but is frozen.  Nothing works -
CTL-ALT-F2, CTL-ALT-BS.  The only option is to press and hold the power
button to shutdown and reboot.

I was so proud of myself for finally figuring out how to make the sleep
mode work with the broken FC5.  The documentation is mighty sparse.
If I create these additional files, sleep mode seems to work, although
I'm not sure that the battery drain is as low as it used to be:

Actually, on my T41, FC5 is the first release to suspend/resume correctly right out of the box (modulo an issue with powering off the graphics chip that's been around for a while and has a known workaround). But I can think of a few points to consider. For one thing, I'm running GNOME.

Were you using APM or ACPI in FC4?

Did you update from FC4 or do a fresh install? Do you have pm-utils installed?

What's your video card? Are you seeing the machine indicate that it's suspended properly but just stay hot and drain the battery? What part of the machine stays hot?

Are you logged in when you suspend?

/etc/acpi/events/lid.conf:
 event=button/lid*
 action=/usr/bin/acpitool -s

/etc/acpi/events/sleep.conf:
 event=button/sleep*
 action=/usr/bin/acpitool -s

Sleep mode just worked out of the box with FC4.  I could leave the lid
closed without the charger overnight and there was still a charge in the
morning.  I was disappointed to find that FC5 doesn't sleep correctly
by default.  Now it doesn't work at all anymore.

Progress???

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences