Re: Ten Reasons To *NOT* Use ZFS:

--- Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty <at> sbcglobal.net>

> patenting algorithms.
> "mathematics", but don't seem
> >>
> >>My response exactly. It's not an attempt to
> "patent Mathematics".
> >>It's an attempt to patent applications of
> mathematics to a process.
> >>Different thing. In principle, no different from
> the LZW patent.
> >

> > I have never said I think the LZW patent is OK! In
> fact I don't. Software
> > patents suck.
>
> I don't like software patents, either. But they are
> not an attempt
> to patent Mathematics, which was my first point.
> And, it's not in
> principle different from something which has been
> going on for some
> time, which was my second point.

A question arises.  If mathematics could be patented,
Who would hold these patents?

In the history of mathematics, several people develop
the processes and others get the credit.
Leibniz and Newton were credited with developing
calculus.
Cramer's Rule was not developed by Cramer, yet he got
the credit.

Cramer's Rule for a 2 x 2 system of equations
ax + by = c
dx + ey = f

    | c  b |
    | f  e |
x = ---------
    | a  b |
    | d  e |

and for

    | a  c |
    | d  f |
y = ---------
    | a  b |
    | d  e |

Somebody else made the work previosly and did not
patent it.  And now years later and person who
discovered the technology passed away someone wants to
patent and get credit as theirs.  It does not make
sense.

> Another point of my
> message, which
> perhaps escaped you, is that it's not worthy of
> making any fuss over,
> unless one attacks the *principle* of software
> patents, which doesn't
> seem to be happening in this country.

Agreed.

>So, the OP was
> a *yawn* for me
> until and unless the author is willing to lead some
> kind of general
> program to eliminate software patents altogether.
> I'd like to see
> patents eliminated altogether, but that's another
> story.
>
> Mike
> --

> You have found the bank of Larn.
> I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it
> for you.
> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>
> --

Regards,

Antonio