Re: Boot problems (FC4)

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:36 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 26 June 2006 10:25, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 19:16 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > It's somewhat disconcerting that when ntpd failed to make the
> > > connection the whole bootup process failed.  I would have wished for a
> > > failure notice then the rest of the bootup to continue.
> >
> > Is it really the case, or are you mistaking cause and effect?
> >
> Hi, Tim.  I'm not sure, but I don't think I am.
>
> > e.g. Name resolution or networking isn't working, and NTPD being just
> > one thing that doesn't cope with it, but the last thing that you saw.
> >
> No, it wasn't.  Eventually it did continue for a few more steps, and 'enabling
> swap' (or similar) was the last thing I saw.  If you know any way that I can
> get useful info if/when it happens again, I'd be glad to know.
>
> Anne

Hi Anne,

What you may want to do is:
1. If you can get to a shell, just do this (you need to be root):
# chkconfig --level 0123456 ntpd off

Check that it is disabled at boot:
# chkconfig --list | grep ntpd
ntpd            0:off   1:off   2:off    3:off    4:off    5:off
6:off

2. Next, you boot the system and see if it comes up.

Sometimes ntpd fails because the default port that the NTP server you
are trying to synchronize with is blocked, and you will need to use
unprivileged ports. You can check if this is the case with the following
command:
# /usr/sbin/ntpdate <server_name>

If it seems to hang up, just hit <Ctrl>+C, then try this:
# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u <server_name>

This tells ntpdate to use unprivileged ports instead. If you get a
reply, that means that the problem is likely to be the firewall on the
NTP server's end. NTP listens on UDP port 123 by default. Unfortunately,
for FC1 to FC3 (I think), the ntpd script uses the default port instead
of specifying the use of unprivileged ports.

Hope this helps!

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur