Re: support for bladeframes

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 10:05 -0400, Marc M wrote:
> I currently have an IBM LS-20 blade system at my work which we are
> evaluating.  Fujitsu makes some good stuff but I haven't gotten my
> hands on it yet.  The IBM blade unit is suppossed to support all of
> the recent RHEL distributions as well as M$ and SuSE, (the CEO-less
> distribution lol).  I run into driver issues with all sorts of servers
> (especially Dell since they are so linux UNfriendly in my opinion).
> We ran into a vesa issue with RHEL but that is nothing that a little
> bit of xorg.conf tweaking wouldn't fix.

my concerns were mostly that closed-source raid/scsi cards. its quite
annoying to wait for a vendor to provide an updated kernel-module, when
the bad guys just wait for their chance. i feel quite comfortable on
patching/recompiling kernels, but thats often not possible.

> Right now the market is really neck and neck with HP and IBM having
> about 85-90% market share.  How you use it really affects the
> configuration and all of the choices involved. When you say 'spread
> the load out' over more blades -  are you truly referring to some sort
> of clustering?

their sales-team told us so. :)
it should be easy to move e.g. some RAM from one "blade" to another one,
if this would be needed. a reboot would be needed for that of course.
but we definitly need to evaluate the real hardware and dont believe
their sellers.

> Questions for you
>
> 1.  The statement 'currently we install important/heavy-loaded systems
> twice or triply, '  ---doesn't make sense.  Explain?

we install e.g. not one big (and expensive) server for a given service,
but several smaller (and cheaper) ones. our firewall takes care that
requests get spread over all of them. and as the firewall sends
connections from IP X always to the same backend, this works fine for
our needs. if a system is no longer available, the firewall notices that
and uses the next one (which would break certain). one drawback is, that
if one system gets overloaded, but one could still connect, you WILL get
connected to that system, even if the next one has no load. not perfect
but easy and affordable and meets our needs close enough.

> 2.  why on earth would you run Fedora on a blade in a production
> environment? Is it truly that or something like a test environment?

we use fedora for some systems without direct user-access, as e.g. the
spamfilter or virusfilter. once a month those fedoras need a reboot, as
their nfs hangs. we never had problems with el3 and el4. and for some
development-systems we use fedora, too (as most of the needed packages
are not yet shipped with el3 or even el4).

> 3.  kickstart is not a firewall, that does not make sense, please
> explain....

should have been clearer on that:
blades "fast deployment & installation" gets covered by kickstart
installations.
we reach some redundancy and load-balancing by using our firewall (as
explained above).

thanks for your time
joe