Re: FC5 networking question, emachines t3418

Peter Horst wrote:
> I am unable to get a new eMachine t3418 running FC-5 onto a home network
> with a Belkin Pre-N wireless router.  I am connecting it via one of the
> Belkin's 4 CAT5 ports, not via the wireless.  The Belkin provides NAT
> and DHCP at 192.168.2.1.  I now have a XP Pro laptop connected via
> wireless and a second FC-5 machine, an old PII-450.  The eMachine in
> question is not running X Windows.
>
> I had asked earlier on this list and the group kindly advised me to try
> a few things for diagnostic purposes, so here's some (somewhat
> abbreviated) output.  I should mention that I talked to Belkin and they
> suggested assigning the eMachine an IP address, so I edited
> /etc/sysconfig/network, which didn't make the slightest difference.
> Either way, the machine gives me: "Determining IP information for
> eth0...failed."
>
> Anything jump out here?
>
> Thanks for any assistance...
>
> ---------------------------------------
> # /sbin/ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
>    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>    Auto-negotiation: on
>    Link detected: yes
>
> # dmesg | tail
> NET: Registered protocol family 10
> lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
> eth0: no IPv6 routers present
>
> # /sbin/ifconfig eth0
> RX packets: 28 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
> TX packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
> RX bytes:3496 (3.4 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> Interrupt: 17 Base address: 0xc000
>
> # cat resolv.conf
>
> # cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1   obtunded localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.2.123 obtunded
>
> # /bin/netstat -rn
> 169.254.0.0      0.0.0.0      255.255.0.0      U      0      0      0
>   lo
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> ONBOOT=yes
> HOSTNAME=obtunded
> IPADDR=192.168.2.123
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> GATEWAYDEV=eth0

There are a couple of problems here. Probably the biggest is that
you do not have any name server in /etc/resolv.conf. There are a
couple of ways to fix this. You can ether set the computer up to use
dhcp to get its information, or you can edit /etc/resolv.conf.

Try editing /etc/resov.conf - put in:

nameserver 192.168.2.1

If that does not work, let us know and we can tell you how to set up
the interface to use DHCP instead. (This is probably how Windows is
set up...)

Mikkel