Re: FC6t1 vs FC5

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> > Here is the announcement which has the details
>> >
>> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2006-
>> > June/msg00010.html
>> >
>> > Here is a review
>> >
>> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=499
>>
>> Actually, there seems very little difference to me.
>> For example, it mentions KDE-3.5.3 as one of the new things in FC6t1
>> but I seem to have that on FC5 from fedora-extras.
>
> KDE is not in Fedora Extras and yes the first test release wouldnt be
> that different from the previous release with updates. Only intrusive
> changes that cannot be backported remain in the new release( and the
> installer related changes )

Sorry to pursue the matter, but I am still not entirely clear
about the relation of FC6t1 to updated FC5.

I take it that FC6t1 contains all the FC5 updates (and extras?),
together with some RPMs from FC5's fedora-updates-testing
and fedora-extras-development?
In other words, a judicious selection of RPMs available under FC5.
Is that a correct understanding?

I realize that sometimes there may be cataclysmic changes,
eg in gcc, which mean that everything has to be changed
in one fell swoop.
But that seems pretty rare to me.

Nb I'm not criticizing the production of test versions,
just trying to clarify the philosophy behind them.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366