Re: fsck at boot, skip a disk ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Mathew Snyder wrote:

I believe the "1" referred to is another way of saying "single" which
will do what is being described.

I think you had better try it. On my FC5 system, booting into the
single user mode (run level 1) still mounts all local file systems.
So if you need to edit /etc/fstab to get the system to boot, you are
not going to be able to do it. This is because when booting to any
run level, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is run before the run level specific
stuff, and this is where the local file systems are mounted.

What you need is "emergency" mode.  That will give you a shell, and
with the root filesystem mounted read-only.  Nothing else besides
the pseudo-fileystems (/dev, /sys, /proc) will be mounted.  In
order to edit /etc/fstab you'll have to remount the root filesystem
read-write, and if your favorite editor resides in /usr/bin and /usr
is a separate filesystem, then you'll need to mount /usr too.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.