setenv... where is it??

I'm compiling a program from a tarball and the ./configure process
claims:
checking for getuid... yes
checking for mempcpy... yes
checking for munmap... yes
checking for putenv... no
checking for setenv... no

I've got the man pages, so I would think it's installed. But apparently
it is not. So I: yum install glibc*  ...and here's the fun part!

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
Size
Installing:
 glibc-debuginfo         i686       2.4-8            updates
5.8 M
 glibc-debuginfo-common  i386       2.4-8            updates
12 M
 glibc-utils             i386       2.4-8            updates
109 k

Transaction Summary
Install      3 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 18 M

glibc-utils is 109k, while the debug stuff is almost 18 megs.

Even after filling up a chunk of harddrive, I cannot locate putenv nor
setenv. I tried google... and from what I can gather it's part of glibc?
The make refuses to make, and I think this is the problem... I think.
If anyone has some help to offer, I'd appreciate it. Ric