Re: Ten Reasons To *NOT* Use ZFS:

> > Does that mean that all programs using a kernel interface must
> > be GPL'd now?
>
> Maybe. Whatever GPL says and whatever is decided by the courts if anyone
> decides to challenge it.

Since things take years to go through the courts, I guess the place
we'll first find out if something automatically falls under the
copyright of the first kernel where it was used is when we find
out what SCO actually owns.

> > That would pretty much render it useless for
> > running commercial applications and has been the specific modification
> > I've seen in the COPYING file distributed with the kernel - but
> > I haven't looked recently...
> >

> Which Linus himself has said is not an exception or modification of the
> license.

He says that now.  In the early days he was widely quoted as saying
the opposite but google wasn't around then so I can't just grab
a copy to see the exact context.  I thought it was a big reason for
the early popularity of Linux that pre-existing code could be
used in driver modules.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx