Re: Software RAID

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:41:30 -0700 (PDT)
Tom Spec <samag70-ignore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > You really do not want to do it this way. Setting up raid on a
> > partitions just seems like such a bad idea on so many levels. You
> > should do it on the entire disk. Last time I remember messing with
> > it, the setup screen for that was not capable of doing that.
>
> How do you propose to do "entire disk"?  Will you be using LVM on the
> system?
>
> I have had very good success with the method I described, including
> several incidents of failed drives.  Clearly it's not as good as
> hardware RAID, but still I think it is MUCH  better than nothing.  It
> is certainly the best mirroring solution I have come across short of
> a hardware RAID controller.

As far as I know it can't be done from installer. You create a mirror
using two entire disks and then slice it up. This requires installing,
setting up the raid, slicing the raid, rebooting, making it bootable
and migrating the installed stuff to it, and finally rebooting and
telling it to boot from one of the raided disks.

I've not had time to fully test this, but I am currently playing around
with it. I don't like the idea of mirroring partitions because
replacing a disk means having to repartition/slice the disk.