Re: recording spdif with ice1724 chipset

On 6/7/06, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to work out how to record from an S/PDIF input
using a Terratec 7.1 Space (Envy24 based card, supported by
ICE1724 Alsa driver).  I simply can't work it out.

Under Windows it's necessary to use the Terratec control
panel to select S/PDIF as the recording source (rather
than the analogue mixer/sources).  What I think I should
do under Linux is something like:

There is a workaround in the alsa-lib tree now for this issue
<http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-lib?cmd=changeset;node=76c855e68dd8;style=gitweb>

From the alsa-devel list:
Takashi Iwai wrote:
OK, the problem is the confliction of "IEC958 Playback Route" and
"IEC958 Capture Switch".

We need to fix either mixer layer or rename it, e.g. from "Playback
Route" to "Playback Source".

The patch below (for alsa-lib) is a temporary workaround to add the
automatic toggle of "IEC958 Capture Switch" over iec958 (spdif) PCM.
This makes the spdif recording working even without the fix suggested
in the above.

(The fix mentioned was to, as root, run "alsactl store" to save the current
mixer settings in /etc/asound.state, manually edit the "IEC958 Capture
Switch" entry to true, and then run "alsactl restore")

So you can either apply this fix manually or the patch to
(IIRC) /etc/alsa/cards.

--
imalone