Re: LAMP on Fedora

Robert F. Chapman wrote:
Up to about a year ago, I did everything from source.  This was
primarily due to features and bug fixes were very slow to be implemented
in the standard RPM's.

I didn't have a very good handle on RPM at the time, so I'd download the
source and recompile.  This worked OK for a while, but when I had to
support several instances on production servers, this began to become a
tedious job.

FWIW

one could compile from source and use rpms by building binary rpms from s[ource]rpms. That should give you 'better' performance without as much headache. You'd still need to solve dependencies, as yum doesn't handle srpms, though.

Personally, I've never done anything but yum [up2date,apt] install php and never had an issue worth mentioning.