Re: LAMP on Fedora

Up to about a year ago, I did everything from source.  This was
primarily due to features and bug fixes were very slow to be implemented
in the standard RPM's.

I didn't have a very good handle on RPM at the time, so I'd download the
source and recompile.  This worked OK for a while, but when I had to
support several instances on production servers, this began to become a
tedious job.

RPM's are the best way of handling software on production web/database
servers. Just get comfy with RPM and download all the patches.

Many times I will have updated RPM's that are three rev's higher than
the distro, and when a new release from Fedora occurs, I'll back-out of
my version of the RPM and update with the official RPM.  That way I can
feel a bit more secure that more people have had their eyes on the
source and most of the patch bugs have been worked out.

Robert