Re: Problem compiling kernel-2.6.17

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> I've had problems with linux-2.6.17.
>>
>> When I run this version of Linux I get a kernel panic,
>> the first error message being
>> Unable to access resume device (/dev/hda7).
>> [/dev/hda7 is in fact my swap partition .]
>>
>> Later I got the error
>> mount: could not find filesystem /dev/root .
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>
>> It's quite possible I made a silly error in "make xconfig".
>> All other old kernels seem to run perfectly,
>> and the entry in grub.conf is the same.
>>
>> Has anyone had a similar problem?
>>
> Did you forget to build the IDE and IDE disk drivers? Or if you
> built them as a module, did you remember to build an initrd?

Thanks very much for the suggestion.
I didn't actually forget any of the IDE stuff,
but I had some parts of it in modules.
Now I've put all the IDE bits into the kernel,
there is no longer a panic,
and 2.6.17 seems to be running fine.

I did incidentally have an initrd running before.
But I didn't include BLK_DEV_PIIX,
which the documentation suggests might help
with the Intel PIIX4 disk controller,
although it implies that it is not necessary.
So I am not quite sure which change solved the problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366