FC5 install disk and more recent kernels will not boot

I have not been able to get any of the kernels packaged with FC5 to
boot on my system.  Initially, I tried booting from a burned DVD copy
of FC5.  After pressing "Enter" at the initial install screen, the
kernel tries to load, but hangs after printing "Checking 'hlt'
instruction ...OK".  The system must then be hard reset.  The system
previously had a FC4 working fine and possibly FC3 before that (I
can't remember how many further versions back have run on this
particular hardware setup).  From the working FC4 install, it seems
that ACPI related messages appear after the "Checking 'hlt'
instruction" line, so I tried disabling acpi using some of the kernel
parameters.  Adding "noacpi" and/or "acpi=off" had no effect.  Adding
"pci=noacpi" results in one more line being printed: "ACPI: setting
ELCR to 1a20 (from 1820)" before hanging.  I then performed a yum
upgrade of the system from FC4 to FC5, hoping that a newer kernel
release would solve the problem.  Unfortunately, the newer kernels
fared no better (kernel-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 is the most recent version I
have tried).  Luckily, the older FC4 kernel (kernel-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4)
still works fine with all of the other packages from FC5, so my
computer is still usable.  The computer itself consists of an ASUS
A7N8X Deluxe mother board (I believe it has the Nvidia nforce2 chipset
and an Athlon 2400+ XP processor), 1.5GB generic RAM, IDE drive, and
Matrox G450 video board.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please let
me know if I can provide any further information to help debug this
problem.

-Jim Shepherd