Re: c++ programming evironment

From: "Kevin Kofler" <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx>

Todd Simi <tsimi <at> speakeasy.net> writes:
Is their anything similar to the Virtual C++ environment for linux?

There are 3 C++ IDEs included with Fedora (Core or Extras):
* KDevelop (KDE based)
* Anjuta (GNOME based)
* Eclipse CDT (Java/GCJ based)
You can try these (I'd suggest trying them all and picking the one you like best), or you can use a text editor such as Kate and compile from the command line.

It might be of interest to learn what form of output the professor
accepts. If development is done on a 'ix machine the source code
format might not be professor friendly. (Fortunately with the
Visual (not Virtual) C++ IDE this is not an issue.) If the professor
wants executable files as well then an environment that produces
output files suitable for a Win32 or Win64 (depending on the
professor's environment) would be called for.

If the course is going to touch Microsoft Foundation Classes, which
it should not based on Todd's full message and the course name, then
he is stuck with VC++ if he wants life to be easy. There MIGHT be a
version that he can download for free if he digs through the MSDN
web site. They do, from time to time, have such things to attract
people to Windows development.

And if he can MY personal druthers are for VC++ 6.0 not the Visual
Net development environment. That one drives me nuts trying to use
it. (Yeah, I know, it's a short drive. {^_-}) But if he finds something free and needs it then one takes what one can get. Here's
hoping this is really a C++ course and not a Microsoft C++ course.
Then he could work with the tools above if he wishes. Since he's here
I presume he does.

{^_^}   <ob Joanne - does delivering the code to the professor
       constitute "distribution" requiring that it be GPL? Don't
       answer. I'm just being silly.>