Re: FC-5 Kernel says 'No sound card found.." on my on-board sound chip Riptide Audio Controller

On 6/19/06, Claude Yu <claudeyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Dear All,

My system which onboard soundchip Rockwell Semiconductors Audio Controller
installed with FC-5 detected no soundcard but only saying snd-riptide driver
is expected. No matter how I have installed the drivers: alsa-driver-1.0.11
or riptide driver without use.  The error always pointed to no soundcard
detected and riptide driver never get installed successfully.

My questions are always be these:

1.  Have the manufacturer not given the source code to Linux Kernel
development Board(I assumed there is one), support of this soundcard by
Linux Kernel such as FC-5 will never achieve even with the latest updated
kernel driver with build-in sound support in it.  Would this be a case
because the development board has not received the source code to build the
driver for it.  While if there is no support, what should I do? Buy a new
soundcard like Creative SoundBlaster Live! ?  Can I get around this if not
buying another card?

2. In (1),  however, I have downloaded the latest alsa-driver
alsa-1.0.11.tar and get installed.  I met error when attempting to run: #
./configure and then make install and
the kernel didn't allow me to do with error pointing to not recognized the
make command... and do not point to the right directory ..kernel/build .. so
forth.

3) Then I gave up (2), and went to website:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/riptide/install.php?PHPSESSID=94c723d09e695366e7a0c22092698760

and downloaded another driver
riptide-0.6lnxtbeta03122800-1.i386.rpm.zip specifically for
riptide and get installed.
This time, another error returned I have saved in a logfile as shown:

logfile.log

Linux RIPTIDE audio/communication drivers, version 0.6lnxtbeta03122800

This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system:
  Kernel arch: i686
  Kernel version: linux-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

Trying to automatically re-compile the modules..
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

ERROR: /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build points to a missing directory

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 Jun 10 23:09 /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build
-> ../../../usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686

Please ensure that the kernel-headers or kernel-source package is installed.

I have also printed out another logfile called assound.log  saved by driver
installation in the root directory as shown.

assound.log

[snip]

Now:

* what went wrong with the compilation that it always complainted about
"points to a missing directory"

* why error also ocurred when installation steps have been followed on
either rpm package:

Follow this If you have obtained the driver package in RPM format:

1. install the rpm with "rpm -i
riptide-{version}.{arch}.rpm"

2. optionally re-run "ripconfig" to complete the installation (if
necessary).

Follow this or tar package:

If you have obtained the driver package in tar format:

1. extract the package with "tar -xzf
riptide-{version}.tar.gz"

2. change to the package directory with "cd riptide-{version}"

3. run "make install" from the top of the package directory.

4. run "ripconfig" to complete the installation and configure your board.

(Alternatively to this whole procedure you may generate RPMS from the tar
package using rpm -ta riptide-{version}.tar.gz")

[snip]

Well, the installation page of
http://people.redhat.com/stransky/alsa/
seems a promising fix, but it mentions

Install devel package for your current kernel , it's the
kernel-devel-xxx.rpm package. You can get it here:
FC4, FC5 -
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
RHEL4 - http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/

that I have no idea which exact package needs to be downloaded and install
as the path invokes so many package in:
        from
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/debug/

I believe I am quite a newbie and please someone can help me untangle the
mess!
I feel really headache now as my same system runs perfectly with sound in
Window XP Pro. I don't want
to kill me enthusiasm.

Best regards,

Claude YU

Run the following command:

  sudo yum install kernel-devel-$( uname -r )