Re: Recording Audio Streams

--- Bill Polhemus <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------
    One of the difficulties with using Fedora (or
Linux in general) as adesktop system is the greater
demand on the user's general computersavvy. Of course,
software written for Windows (and even the Mac)assumes
a certain naivete on the part of the end-user, and
theypackage, advertise and deploy software with that
in mind.

For some time, I have been using this product
forWindows, which allows me to record streaming audio
as I play itfrom one of the on-demand music services.
Nice thing about it is,you're still paying for the
music, but you can save and play laterwithout being
online. If you are ethical--as are we all--and don't
giveaway or sell the resulting MP3s, you're still
legal (even while you'renot hampered by the ridiculous
DRM schemes--another plus).

Anyway, I am wondering what, if any, Linux software is
available to dothis. I get the impression that mplayer
will doit--although the documentation for that
application, like so manyothers in the Linux world, is
far from explicit in that regard. Again,it looks like
if you're savvy about this stuff--maybe you have to
beable to read the source, I dunno--then you can
figure it out. But I'mnot, or I don't have time to get
up to speed. I'm looking for somethingthat "just
works" on Fedora Linux.

There is a program called streamripper.  It allows you
to capture streams from the internet to your machine.
RPMS for FC5 are available at
http://www.bennewitz.com/rpms/streamripper/fc5/

Try them and hope that this helps.

Regards,

Antonio

Of course, I can always move over to a Windows machine
and do this, butI'm trying earnestly to move 100% over
to Linux now, and this is one ofthose "must have"
functions I'm looking to implement accordingly.

Any advice would be MOST welcome.