Re: going bonkers trying to install fc-5

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 18:09 -0600, Stanton Finley wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 18:54 -0500, Peter Horst wrote:
> > Boy, I am having such a hard time figuring out what's wrong here.  I had
> > a couple of old beater computers, tried to install fc-5 from a cd set.
> > Hash-verified, should have been decent disks, etc. No dice. Neither
> > computer would "see" the boot disk.  Thought, "oh, well."  Needed a new
> > box anyway. Picked up an emachines t-3418 yesterday.  Burned fc-5 iso
> > disk 1 onto a new Taiyo Yuden 700mb disk - verified that the data is
> > present & accounted for (SHA-1 hash matches). And still! Despite any
> > changes I make to the BIOS settings, I cannot get this computer to boot
> > from the install disk -

Two things you may wish to consider...

1.) The CD drive itself may be borked and you may wish to test this with
another drive.

2.) My brand new Athlon 64 machine had kernel panics from every several
minutes to an hour or so. It would go BEEP! and reboot, usually at some
critical juncture. After several days the machine just died. I took it
back to the dealer and the power supply had crapped out. I'm thinking
that many machines have marginal power supplies installed to save a
buck. Once the new power supply was installed, the kernel panics stopped
cold. Low voltage may cause many of the problems everyone experiences. I
am not showing any burps in the barrel, the machine and all of it's
peripherals work without a hitch.  I am happy. Ric