Re: Applications unusable

On Monday 19 June 2006 10:32, Chris Linton-Ford wrote:
> I had a similar problem - random failures affecting a wide range of
> system and userland s/w. Ran memtest, it reported the RAM to be fine,
> but when I replaced the RAM the problems went away.  If you can get a
> stick of known good RAM, try swapping it in and see if it helps.

I'veh ad memory issues in the past as well, mostly related to wrong CAS/RAS
settings in the BIOS, but also just defect memory.
I usually first try to boot Linux from CD (like knoppix) to make sure it's not
just something with my installation. Once both the installed Linux and the
knoppix version both show similar issues, I know quite sure it's a hardware
issue.

regards,
Marcel